Alessandro Grassani (b.1977, Italy) is a storyteller who uses photography and video as main forms of expression. He begins working in the advertising industry but throughout the years his job brought him around the world covering international events and stories about social themes in more than 30 countries in the world. He works among others with The New York Times, L’Espresso, Vanity Fair, Sunday Times, National Geographic, M le magazine du Monde, D della Repubblica, The Guardian and organizations such as Doctors of the World and International Organization for Migration. Grassani’s corporate clients includes Enel SPA, Lufthansa, Parmacotto, Trenitalia (the Italian State railway company), CommerzBank and ICE (Italian foreign trade institution).
His personal work focus mainly on long terms documentary projects in which he explores the consequences of climate change and war and their aftermath on society.
His work have brought him numerous awards and have been exhibited at festivals and galleries worldwide including the United Nations, Museum of Immigration at the Palais de la Porte Dorèe in Paris, Royal Geographic Society in London and the International Center for Climate Governance.
He is Sony Ambassador, a TEDx Speaker and a teacher at the John Kaverdash Academy of Milano and continuously engaged with other educational activities such as lectures and workshops.
SELECTED GRANTS & AWARDS
– Manuel Rivera Ortiz Grant, top finalist, 2016
– Prix Pictet, nominated, 2016.
– Lens Culture Earth Awards, finalist, 2015.
– Photocrati fund, Honourable Mention, 2015.
– Premio Amilcare Ponchielli, Winner, 2014.
– Prix Pictet, nominated, 2014.
– PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris, Silver Medal, Feature Story, 2014.
– Syngenta Photography Award, Shortlisted, 2013.
– Premio Luchetta/Miran Hrovatin International Award, Winner, 2012.
– IPA International Photography Awards, Third prize Editorial-Environmental category and Honourable Mention in Photo Essay and Feature Story category, 2012.
– PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris, Silver Medal, Feature Story, 2012.
– Premio Amilcare Ponchielli, Honourable Mention, 2012.
– SONY World Photography Awards, Third prize, Contemporary Issues, 2012.
– DAYS JAPAN 8th International Photojournalism Awards, 2nd prize, 2012.
– Prix Pictet, nominated, 2012.
– Luis Valtueña 15th International Humanitarian Photography Award, Winner, 2011.
– IPA International Photography Awards, Third prize, People story, 2011.
– Terry O’Neill Award, Shortlisted, 2011.
– SOFA, Global World Photo Award, Honourable Mention, 2011.
– Memorial Mario Giacomelli, Honourable Mention, 2010.
– FNAC Contest, Honourable Mention, 2007.
– Visa Pour l’Image (Perpignan-France, 2017, screening show at Campo Santo)
– Festival di Fotografia di Capri (Capri-Italy, 2017, collective exhibition)
– Heinrich Boell Foundation Headquarters (Berlin, 2016, solo exhibition)
– Les Rencontres d’Arles, former Blaine House (Arles-France, 2016, collective exhibition)
– BiFoto Festival (Sardinia-Italy, 2016)
– Palais de la Porte Dorèe, Musèe National de l’histoire de l’immigration (Paris, 2015, solo exhibition).
– UmbriaWorldFest (Foligno, 2015, screening).
– La Gacilly Festival Photo (La Gacilly-France, 2015).
– Belvedere Gallery (MIlan-Italy, 2015, solo exhibition).
– United Nations Headquarters (Geneve-Switzerland, 2014, solo exhibition).
– Angkor Photo Festival (Cambodia, 2014).
– International Center for Climate Governance, Fondazione ENI-Enrico Mattei (Venice-Italy, 2013, solo exhibition).
– Somerset House (London, 2013, collective exhibition).
– Royal Geographic Society (London, 2013, collective exhibition).
– IPA Best of Show exhibition an event of the 2012 Lucie Awards (Los Angeles, 2012, collective exhibition).
– CORTONA ON THE MOVE International Photo Festival (Italy, 2012).
– International Photographic Festival of Arles, screening at La Nuit de l’Annèe (France, 2012).
– DAYS JAPAN AWARDS, tour exhibition in Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama and other major cities in Japan, 2012.
– Somerset House (London, 2012, collective exhibition).
– La Casa Encendida (Madrid, 2011, solo exhibition).
– HotShoe Gallery (London, 2011, collective exhibition) .
– Magistrat Gallery “Global World: Through the Lens of Human Rights” (Ptuj, Slovenia, 2011).
– International Photographic Festival of Arles, screening at La Nuit de l’Annèe (France, 2010).
– Palazzo delle Esposizioni di Roma “La grande Venezia” (Italy, 2010, collective exhibition).
– FNAC Galleries (Milan, Rome, Turin, Verona, Naples, Florence and Genoa 2009/2010, solo exhibition).
– Jeani Madsen Gallery (Santa Monica California, 2009, collective exhibition).
– Palazzo Ducale of Genoa (Italy, 2008, collective exhibition).
– International Festival of Photography in Rome “Circa 35” (Italy, 2003, collective exhibition).
TEACHING, LECTURES AND WORKSHOPS
– Teacher at the Master’s program in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography, John Kaverdash Academy – Milan, Italy, 2012-present.
– Villa Reale di Monza – Monza, Italy – Talk, 2017.
– Spazio Forma Meravigli – Milan, Italy – Talk, 2017.
– BiFoto Festival – Sardinia, Italy – workshop, 2016.
– Officina Fotografica – Catania, Italy – workshop, 2016.
– NikonLive! Seminar in three cities Roma, Padova and Ancona, Italy, 2015.
– Same World International Seminar organized by The European Union, Rotonda della Besana, Milan, Italy, 2015.
– World Trade Institute, University of Bern – lecture, 2014.
– TEDx Conference – Berlin 2013.
– LUZ Academy – Milan, Italy – workshop, 2013-2014.
– Touring Club Italiano – Milan, Italy – workshop, 2013-2014-2015.
– FOTONOMICA – Milan, Italy – workshop, 2013-2014-2015.
– Condominio Fotografico – Modica, Italy – workshop, 2014.
– Officina Fotografica – Catania, Italy – workshop, 2014.
– Centro Italiano della Fotografia d’Autore – Bibbiena, Italy- lecture, 2014.
Holocaust Museum of Jerusalem